Profession: Founder of CNN
Why Famous: Media mogul who most notably was the founder of the Cable News Network (CNN), the world's first 24-hour cable news channel.
Turner owned the Atlanta Braves baseball team from 1976 to 1996 and in 1977 successfully defended sailing's America's Cup for the USA.
Donated US$1 billion in 1997 to support the United Nations, creating the public charity, the United Nations Foundation.
- 1991-12-21 Actress Jane Fonda (55) weds CNN founder Ted Turner at the groom's home in north Florida
- 2001-05-22 Actress and former fitness guru Jane Fonda (63) divorces CNN founder Ted Turner (62) due to irretrievably broken marriage 10 years after getting married
- 1976-01-06 Ted Turner purchases Atlanta Braves for reported $12 million
- 1976-01-14 Ted Turner becomes CEO of Atlanta Braves
- 1977-01-02 MLB Commissioner Bowie Kuhn suspends Atlanta Braves owner Ted Turner for one year due to tampering charges in Gary Matthews free-agency signing
- 1977-05-11 Ted Turner manages an Atlanta Braves game
- 1985-07-03 CBS announces a 21% stock buy-back to thwart Ted Turner's takeover
- 1987-01-20 8th ACE Cable Awards: Ted Turner wins the Golden CableACE
- 1990-12-07 Ted Turner & Jane Fonda announce their engagement
- 1991-12-28 Ted Turner is named Time Magazine Man of Year
- 1997-09-18 Ted Turner gives $1 billion to the United Nations, creating the public charity, the United Nations Foundation