Full Name: Tenzin Gyatso [Lhamo Dondrub]
Profession: 14th Dalai Lama
Why Famous: Spiritual leader of Tibetans.
During the 1959 Tibetan uprising, the Dalai Lama fled Tibet for India, where he currently lives as a refugee.
He has since traveled the world, advocating for the welfare of Tibetans and teaching Tibetan Buddhism.
He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.
- 1950-12-19 Tibet's Dalai Lama flees Chinese invasion
- 1951-05-27 Chinese Communists force Dalai Lama to surrender his army to Beijing
- 1951-07-21 Dalai Lama returns to Tibet
- 1959-03-30 Dalai Lama flees China and is granted political asylum in India
- 1986-02-02 Dalai Lama meets Pope John Paul II in India
- 1990-09-30 The Dalai Lama unveils the Canadian Tribute to Human Rights in Canada's capital city of Ottawa.
- 1995-05-14 Dalai Lama proclaims 6-year-old Gedhun Choekyi Nyima 11th reincarnation of Panchen Lama, Tibet's 2nd most senior spiritual leader
- 2007-10-17 The Dalai Lama receives the United States Congressional Gold Medal
- 2014-02-21 US President Barack Obama meets with the Dalai Lama
- "If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven’t slept next to a mosquito."