Profession: Governor of New York
Why Famous: The 47th Governor of New York (1943–1954).
In 1944 and 1948 he was the Republican candidate for President, losing to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman respectively.
- 1928-06-16 New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey (26) weds stage actress Frances Eileen Hutt
- 1944-11-07 Franklin D. Roosevelt is re-elected President of the United States for a record fourth term, defeating Republican candidate Thomas E. Dewey
- 1946-01-03 As a reward for his wartime cooperation, Governor Thomas E. Dewey commutes Charles "Lucky" Luciano's pandering sentence on condition that he does not resist deportation to Italy
- 1948-06-24 Republican National Convention in Philadelphia nominates Governor of NY Thomas E. Dewey
- 1948-11-02 US President Harry Truman is re-elected in an upset victory over Republican candidate Thomas E. Dewey