Profession: Voice of the American Revolution
Biography: He inspired the American Patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Britain with two highly influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution. He is considered the "voice of the American Revolution".
- 1759-09-27 Political activist Thomas Paine (22) weds household servant Mary Lambert (21)
- 1771-03-26 Political activist Thomas Paine (34) weds second wife Elizabeth Ollive
- 1776-01-10 "Common Sense" Pamphlet by Thomas Paine published, advocating American independence
- 1776-12-19 Thomas Paine publishes his 1st "American Crisis" essay beginning "These are the times that try men's souls" (date disputed)
- "The trade of governing has always been monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of mankind."