Biography: Tom Stoppard rose to fame with his early play "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" (1966), it was his first play on Broadway and went on to win four Tony Awards. Later plays of significance include "Arcadia", "The Coast of Utopia", and "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour".
Stoppard is also a noted screenwriter and won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for "Shakespeare in Love" (1998) starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Joseph Fiennes. His other screenplays include "Brazil" (1985) and Billy Bathgate (1991).
- 1965-03-26 Playwright Tom Stoppard (28) weds nurse Josie Ingle
- 1972-02-11 Playwright Tom Stoppard (34) weds doctor and author Miriam Moore-Robinson (34)
- 2014-06-07 Playwright Tom Stoppard (76) weds brewery heiress Sabrina Guinness on an intimate register office ceremony in East Dorset, England
- 1967-04-11 Tom Stoppard's play "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead" debuts in London at the Old Vic
- 1972-02-02 Tom Stoppard's play "Jumpers" premieres in London
- 1976-04-05 Tom Stoppard's play "Dirty Linen and New-Found-Land" premieres in London
- 1978-11-08 Tom Stoppard's play "Night & Day" premieres in London
- 1982-11-16 Tom Stoppard's play "The Real Thing" premieres in London starring Felicity Kendal and Roger Rees
- 1990-09-04 47th Venice Film Festival: "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead" directed by Tom Stoppard wins the Golden Lion
- 1993-04-13 Tom Stoppard's play "Arcadia" premieres in London directed by Trevor Nunn, starring Rufus Sewell, Felicity Kendal and Bill Nighy
- 1995-08-27 Tom Stoppard's comedic play "Arcadia" closes at Vivian Beaumont Theater, NYC, after 204 performances
- 1998-11-03 "Shakespeare in Love" directed by John Madden and starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Joseph Fiennes premieres in New York (Best Picture 1999)
- 1999-03-21 71st Academy Awards: "Shakespeare in Love", Roberto Benigni & Gwyneth Paltrow win
- 1999-04-11 52nd British Film and Television Awards (BAFTAs): "Shakespeare in Love" Best Film, Peter Weir Best Director
- "Since we cannot hope for order let us withdraw with style from the chaos."