Profession: Father of Czechoslovakia
Why Famous: Czechoslovak politician and philosopher, who was an advocate of Czechoslovakian independence during World War One.
Masaryk at first focused on reforming the Austro-Hungarian monarchy into a democratic federal state, but during the World War One he began to favor the abolition of the monarchy and Czech independence.
In 1918, with the help of the allied powers he succeeded and became the founder and first President of Czechoslovakia. He was later re-elected as president three times, in 1920, 1927, and 1934.
In the Czech Republic he is referred to as "President liberator".
- 1915-10-29 Tomáš Masaryk claims independence for Czechoslovakia
- 1915-11-14 Tomáš Masaryk demands independence for Czechoslovakia
- 1918-11-14 Republic of Czechoslovakia created with Tomáš Masaryk as its 1st president
- 1920-03-28 Tomáš Masaryk elected President of Czechoslovakia
- 1927-05-27 Tomáš Masaryk re-elected President of Czechoslovakia for a second time