Profession: British Prime Minister
Biography: Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2007 and the Leader of the Labour Party from 1994 to 2007.
Blair's doctrine of "third way" politics tried to carve a new ideology between socialism and capitalism and initially proved popular with the British electorate allowing the Labour Party to win three consecutive general elections.
Blair's government devolved power to the newly created Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales and the Northern Ireland Assembly. He was also heavily involved in bringing peace to Northern Ireland, chiefly via the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.
Internationally he supported the foreign policy of US Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, committing British forces to battle five times including the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan and the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The last is highly controversial, after he falsely claimed that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.
- 1980-03-29 77th Prime Minister of UK Tony Blair (26) weds barrister and lecturer Cherie Booth
- 1994-07-21 Tony Blair is declared the winner of the leadership election of the British Labour Party, paving the way for him to become Prime Minister in 1997
- 1997-05-01 Tony Blair elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1998-11-26 Tony Blair becomes the first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to address the Republic of Ireland's parliament.
- 2001-06-07 Tony Blair's Labour Party wins another landslide victory in the General Election
- 2005-02-06 Tony Blair, now the longest-serving Labour PM, marks 2,838 days as British Prime Minister
- 2005-05-05 Tony Blair's Labour Party is re-elected for a third consecutive term in UK general election
- 2010-11-26 Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair debate - is religion a force for good in the world, in a Monk Debate, Toronto, Canada
- 2016-07-06 Chilcot Report, UK's Iraqi War Inquiry released; concludes Tony Blair overstated case for war and was unpreparaed
- 2018-09-13 Islamic extremism by 121 groups caused 84,000 deaths in 2017 according to report by Global Extremist Monitor presented by Tony Blair
- 2021-10-03 Pandora Papers investigation reveals secret wealth of 30 current and former world leaders including Jordan’s King Abdullah II, Czech PM Andrej Babis and former UK PM Tony Blair