Full Name: Bernard Schwartz
Why Famous: Born to poverty-stricken Hungarian immigrants, Tony Curtis went onto become a major American movie star in the 1950s and 1960s.
His most famous role was in the Billy Wilder comedy "Some Like It Hot" (1959) opposite Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon and often voted the "funniest film ever made".
Curtis played both comedic and dramatic roles throughout his career. He was nominated for an Academy Award for "The Defiant Ones" (1958) opposite Sidney Poitier and a BAFTA for his part in the film noir "Sweet Smell of Success" (1957) alongside Burt Lancaster.
Married six times, his first wife was fellow actress Janet Leigh with whom he is the father of actress Jamie Lee Curtis.
- 1951-06-04 Actress Janet Leigh (23) weds actor Tony Curtis (26) in Greenwich, Connecticut
- 1962-09-14 Actress Janet Leigh (35) divorces actor Tony Curtis (37) after 10 years of marriage
- 1993-02-28 Tony Curtis weds Lisa Deutsch as his 4th wife
- 1998-11-06 "Some Like It Hot" actor Tony Curtis (73) weds horse trainer Jill Vandenberg at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1959-03-29 "Some Like It Hot", directed by Billy Wilder and starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon, is released in NYC
- 1994-04-04 Tony Curtis undergoes heart-bypass surgery