Profession: Tennis Player
Why Famous: A child tennis prodigy, Tracey Austin was the youngest woman to win the US Tennis Open in 1979, when she 16 years and 9 months. She won the US Open title again in 1981, defeating Martina Navratilova in the final. In 1980 she attained the ranking of No. 1 in the world.
A series of injuries and then a car accident limited her career and despite a couple of attempted comebacks she never regained her earlier form. In 1992 she was the youngest player to be inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame at 29.
- 1977-09-01 Tracy Austin at age 14 years, 8 months, 20 days, becomes the youngest female to play in the US Open, beating German Heidi Eisterlehner 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 in a 1st round match
- 1979-08-31 In the battle of American teenage tennis prodigies, 16 year old Tracy Austin beats 14 year old Andrea Jaeger 6-2, 6-2 in the 2nd round at US Open
- 1979-09-08 US Open Women's Tennis: Tracy Austin becomes youngest US champion (16 years, 9 months); beats Chris Evert 6-4, 6-3
- 1981-09-12 US Open Women's Tennis: Tracy Austin wins her second US title; beats Martina Navratilova 1-6, 7-6, 7-6
- 1992-06-11 Tracy Austin, 29, is youngest inductee of International Tennis Hall of Fame