Biography: Vanessa Williams came to fame when she became the first person of African American descent to win the Miss America contest in 1983. She was forced to give up the title after a scandal erupted when Penthouse published unauthorized nude photographs of her.
Williams released her debut R&B album "The Right Stuff" in 1988 with the hit single "Dreamin'". Other successful albums have followed including "The Comfort Zone" (1991) featuring the No. hit "Save the Best For Last".
As an actress Williams has starred in roles in films such as "Soul Food (1997) and on television as in "Ugly Betty" (2006-10) alongside America Ferrera, and for which she was nominated for three Primetime Emmy Awards.
- 1987-01-03 American singer and former Miss America Vanessa Williams (23) marries Ramon T. Hervey in NYC; divorce 1997
- 2015-07-04 American actress and singer Vanessa Williams (52) weds 3rd husband American businessman Jim Skrip (55-ish) in at St. Stanislaus Catholic Church in Buffalo, New York
- 1983-09-17 Vanessa Williams (20), Miss New York is crowned 56th Miss America 1984; 1st winner of African-American descent
- 1984-07-20 Vanessa Williams is asked to resign as Miss America due to publication of nude photos of her
- 1984-07-23 Vanessa Williams, 1st African American Miss America, resigns after Penthouse publishes unauthorized nude photos of her