Full Name: Vittorio Emanuele Maria Alberto Eugenio Ferdinando Tommaso
Profession: King of Sardinia and Italy
Biography: The first King of a united Italy since the 6th century. He was King of Sardinia from 1849 and ruled as King of Italy 1861-78.
He is considered along with Camillo Cavour and Giuseppe Mazzini, one of founding fathers of the Kingdom of Italy.
He supported the unification campaigns of Giuseppe Garibaldi in southern Italy, stopping him from attacking Rome in 1860, which was then under his alley France's protection. Victor Emmanuel II went on to take Rome in 1870, ending over a thousand years of independence for the Papal States. After excommunicating him in 1860, the Catholic church reversed their decision at his death in 1878.
- 1842-04-12 Sardinia king Victor Emmanuel II (22) weds queen Adelaide of Austria (20) at Palazzina di caccia of Stupinigi
- 1869-10-18 Sardinia king Victor Emmanuel II (49) weds his mistress Rosa Vercellana (36) in Italy
- 1859-06-24 Battle of Solferino, Northern Italy: a French Army under Napoleon III and a Sardinian Army under Victor Emmanuel II overcomes the Austrian Army under Emperor Franz Joseph I
- 1861-02-18 King Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia becomes first King of Italy
- 1861-03-17 Italy is unified into a single kingdom under Victor Emmanuel II following the campaigns led by Giuseppe Garibaldi