Profession: Prime Minister of Norway and Nazi Collaborator
Biography: Quisling is perhaps best known for his name having become a word of its own, with 'quisling' coming to mean a traitor or collaborator. This meaning arose after Quisling, at the time a relatively minor Norwegian politician and founder of the Nasjonal Samling (National Union) party, took power in Norway following an invasion by Nazi Germany. For this he was seen by many in Norway and around the world as a traitor.
Following the war, Quisling was brought before a court investigating Norwegian collaboration with the Nazi regime. He was found guilty on an array of charges—from embezzlement and murder to high treason—and sentenced to death. On the 24th of October, 1945, Quisling was executed by firing squad in Oslo, at Akershus Fortress.
Born: July 18, 1887
Birthplace: Fyresdal, Norway
Generation: Lost Generation
Star Sign: Cancer
Died: October 24, 1945 (aged 58)
Cause of Death: Executed for collaborating with the Nazis during WWII
- 1933-05-17 Vidkun Quisling and Johan Bernhard Hjort form Nasjonal Samling, the national-socialist party of Norway
- 1940-04-10 Vidkun Quisling forms Norwegian "national government"
- 1940-09-25 German High Commissioner in Norway sets up Vidkun Quisling government
- 1942-02-01 Second Norwegian government of Vidkun Quisling forms
- 1943-02-01 German occupiers make Vidkun Quisling Norwegian premier
- 1945-05-09 Norwegian nazi collaborators Vidkun Quisling arrested
- 1945-09-10 Vidkun Quisling sentenced to death for collaborating with Nazis