Why Famous: Gone with the Wind (1939), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and Tovarich (1963).
Cause of Death: Tuberculosis
- 1940-08-31 "Wuthering Heights" actor Laurence Olivier (33) weds "Gone With The Wind" actress Vivien Leigh (26)
- 1938-12-25 George Cukor announces Vivien Leigh will play Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind"
- 1939-12-15 "Gone With the Wind", drama film directed by Victor Fleming and starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, premieres in Atlanta (Best Picture 1940, inflation not adjusted highest-grossing film of all time)
- 1940-02-29 12th Academy Awards: "Gone with the Wind" wins eight Oscars, Robert Donat & Vivien Leigh also win
- 1951-09-18 "A Streetcar Named Desire", directed by Elia Kazan and based on Tennessee Williams' 1947 play of the same name, starring Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh, is released
- 1952-03-20 24th Academy Awards: "An American in Paris", Humphrey Bogart & Vivien Leigh win