Profession: Russian President
Why Famous: Putin has been in his second term as the President of Russia since 2012, having served a previous term from 2000 until 2008. Between 2008 and 2012 he served as prime minister in the cabinet of President Dmitry Medvedev.
While his rule in Russia has seen the economy, general living standards and levels of law and order improve drastically since he took office after the economic collapse of the 1990s, he has been criticized domestically and abroad for his increasingly authoritarian rule, his intervention in Ukraine and for perceived levels of corruption in the Russian government.
- 1983-07-28 Russian president Vladimir Putin (30) weds flight attendant Lyudmila Shkrebneva (25)
- 2013-06-07 Russian President Vladimir Putin announces his divorce from his wife on national TV
- 1998-10-01 Vladimir Putin became a permanent member of the Security Council of the Russian Federation.
- 2008-05-08 Dmitry Medvedev appoints Vladimir Putin as Russian Prime Minister
- 2012-03-04 Vladimir Putin wins Russian presidential election amid allegations of voter fraud
- 2012-05-07 Vladimir Putin sworn in for third six-year term as President of Russia
- 2012-05-08 Dmitry Medvedev is confirmed as Russian Prime Minister by the State Duma, after being nominated by Vladimir Putin
- 2012-12-28 Vladimir Putin signs into law a ban on US adoption of Russian children
- 2014-03-01 US President Barack Obama warns Russian President Vladimir Putin over involvement in Ukraine
- 2014-03-02 President Vladimir Putin receives unanimous approval from Russia's parliament to send troops to the Ukraine
- 2014-03-10 German Chancellor Angela Merkel warns Russia's Vladimir Putin that making Crimea part of Russia is illegal and in violation of Ukraine's constitution
- 2014-05-21 Russian President Putin signs agreements with China in Beijing in relation to trade and infrastructure
- 2014-11-15 Vladimir Putin's press secretary says media reports that the Russian president plans to leave the G20 Summit in Brisbane early are nonsense
- 2016-03-14 President Putin orders Russian troops out of Syria
- 2016-09-18 In Russian elections Putin-backed United Russia party wins 54% of Parliamentary seats led by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev
- 2017-07-30 Russian President Vladimir Putin announces American diplomats in Russia cut by 755 in response to American sanctions