Why Famous: Known for popularising tobacco in England and for his expedition to South America in search of a "City of Gold".
Raleigh published an exaggerated account of his experiences in a book that contributed to the legend of "El Dorado".
A favorite of Queen Elizabeth I, Walter Raleigh was distrusted by Elizabeth's successor, King James I who eventually had him tried for treason and beheaded.
Birthplace: East Budleigh, Devon, England
- 1584-03-25 English explorer Walter Raleigh renews Humphrey Gilbert's patent to explore North America
- 1586-07-27 Walter Raleigh brings the 1st tobacco to England from Virginia
- 1603-07-17 English explorer Walter Raleigh is arrested by forces of King James I of England
- 1603-11-17 English explorer, writer and courtier Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason
- 1616-03-20 Walter Raleigh released from Tower of London to seek gold in Guyana
- 1618-10-29 English adventurer, writer and courtier Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against King James I of England