Why Famous: Known for popularising tobacco in England and for his expedition to South America in search of a "City of Gold". He published an exaggerated account of his experiences in a book that contributed to the legend of "El Dorado".
- 1584-03-25 Sir Walter Raleigh renews Humphrey Gilbert's patent to explore North America
- 1586-07-27 Sir Walter Raleigh brings first tobacco to England from Virginia
- 1603-07-17 Sir Walter Raleigh arrested by forces of King James
- 1603-11-17 English explorer, writer and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason.
- 1616-03-20 Walter Raleigh released from Tower of London to seek gold in Guyana
- 1618-10-29 English adventurer, writer, and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against King James I of England