Why Famous: Produced and detected electromagnetic radiation in a wavelength range today known as X-rays or Röntgen rays, an achievement that earned him the first Nobel Prize in Physics in 1901.
Also has the element 111, roentgenium, a very radioactive element with multiple unstable isotopes, named after him.
- 1872-01-19 Physicist Wilhelm Röntgen (26) weds Anna Bertha Ludwig in Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- 1895-11-08 German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen produces and detects electromagnetic radiation in a wavelength range today known as X-rays or Röntgen rays
- 1896-01-01 German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen announces his discovery of x-rays
- 1896-01-05 "Die Presse" newspaper (Germany) publicly announces Wilhelm Röntgen's discovery of X-rays and their potential for new methods of medical diagnoses in a front-page article
- 1901-12-10 First Nobel Prize in Physics awarded to Wilhelm Röntgen for his discovery of X-rays