Profession: US Secretary Of State
Why Famous: A dominant force in the populist wing of the Democratic Party of the United States.
Jennings lost three Presidential elections however served two terms as a representative of Nebraska in the United States House of Representatives and was the Secretary of State under President Woodrow Wilson.
- 1884-10-01 Politician William Jennings Bryan (24) weds Mary sweetheart Elizabeth Baird
- 1896-07-08 William Jennings Bryan's "cross of gold" speech at Democratic convention in Chicago
- 1896-11-03 William McKinley (R) defeats William Jennings Bryan (D) for president
- 1900-11-06 Republican US President William McKinley and his Vice President, Theodore Roosevelt, defeat Democrat William Jennings Bryan
- 1908-07-07 The Democratic Party meets in Denver at the start of their convention; William Jennings Bryan is nominated as presidential nominee
- 1908-11-03 William Howard Taft (R) elected 27th U.S. President over William Jennings Bryan
- 1914-08-15 US Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, in a letter to J P Morgan, Jr., declares that loans to any of the belligerents go against US neutrality
- 1915-06-09 William Jennings Bryan quits as US Secretary of State
- 1915-10-21 William Jennings Bryan's successor as US Secretary of State, Robert Lansing, sends a note to Britain protesting interference with US shipping