Profession: Paramount Leader of China
Why Famous: General Secretary of the Communist Party of China from 2012 and President of the People's Republic of China from 2013.
Domestically, Xi has introduced far-ranging measures to enforce party discipline and to ensure internal unity, as well as initiating an unprecedented campaign against corruption that saw the high-profile arrests of General Xu Caihou and Zhou Yongkang.
Xi has also significantly centralized institutional power by taking on a wide range of leadership positions. At the 2017 Communist Party Congress, Xi's ideology was embedded in the party's constitution under the category of Thought, something not afforded to a Chinese leader since Mao Zedong.
In foreign affairs he has championed a more assertive foreign policy, in particular China's claims to the bulk of the South China Sea.
- 2013-03-14 Xi Jinping is named as the new President of the People's Republic of China
- 2013-09-07 Chinese President Xi Jinping announces plans to develop a new 'Silk Road Economic Belt' (part of Belt and Road Initiative) during visit to Kazakhstan
- 2013-10-03 Chinese President Xi Jinping announces plans for a "21st Century Maritime Silk Road", linking China to Southeast Asia and the Mediterranean (Belt and Road Initiative / One Belt One Road) while in Indonesia
- 2015-09-22 Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in Seattle to start his first state visit to the US
- 2017-04-06 Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in Florida for talks with US President Donald Trump
- 2017-06-28 China’s president, Xi Jinping begins 3 day trip to Hong Kong to mark 20 years since the territory handed back to China
- 2017-07-30 China's President Xi Jinping heads 12,000 troop parade at Zhurihe training base, Inner Mongolia marking 90 years since founding of the People's Liberation Army
- 2017-10-18 19th Chinese Communist Party congress opens in Beijing with President Xi Jinping delivering 3hr 23min speech heralding “new era”
- 2017-10-25 Chinese Premier Xi Jinping unveils his new ruling council in the Great Hall of the People, none of the five are young enough to succeed him
- 2018-03-11 China's National People's Congress approves removal of term limits for a leader, will allow Xi Jinping presidency for life
- 2018-03-25 North Korean leader Kim Jong Un begins surprise trip to Beijing by train to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping
- 2018-03-28 North Korea's Kim Jong-un meets Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing, China, his first trip outside of North Korea since coming to power in 2011
- 2018-06-22 Comedian John Oliver is blocked on Chinese social media after parody of Chinese leader Xi Jinping
- 2018-08-07 China bans release of Winnie the Pooh movie "Christopher Robin", after character used to mock Chinese President Xi Jinping
- 2018-10-23 World's longest sea-crossing bridge, the Hong Kong Macau Zhuhai bridge at 55km, opened by Chinese President Xi Jinping
- 2018-12-02 Trade war truce agreed between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping at G-20 meeting in Argentina
- 2019-03-23 Italy signs up to China's Belt and Road Initiative with deals signed in Rome between Italian Deputy Prime Minister Luigi Di Maio and Chinese President Xi Jinping
- 2019-06-20 Chinese President Xi Jinping meets Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang, the first Chinese president to visit North Korea in 14 years
- 2019-09-25 Chinese President Xi Jinping opens Beijing's new Daxing International Airport designed by Zaha Hadid
- 2020-02-23 China's Supreme Leader Xi Jinping describes the country's COVID-19 outbreak as the China's largest health emergency since 1949
- 2020-03-10 Three months into the COVID-19 epidemic Chinese President Xi Jinping finally travels to Wuhan, epicenter of the outbreak as the rate of daily new infections declines in China falls to 19 new cases and 17 deaths
- 2020-09-22 President Xi Jinping of China pledges at the UN that the country will adopt stronger climate targets including becoming carbon neutral by 2060
- 2020-12-12 Chinese leader Xi Jinping says the country will reduce its carbon intensity by 65% by 2030
- 2021-02-25 Chinese President Xi Jinping says the country has eradicated extreme poverty (earning less than US$620 a year), though many observers remain skeptical about the accuracy of Chinese data due to widespread corruption and lack of transparency
- China poverty: Beijing says it’s been eradicated, but what exactly has been achieved? - South China Morning Post
- China's Xi declares victory in ending extreme poverty - BBC News