Profession: Soviet General Secretary
Why Famous: General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union from November 12, 1982 until his death fifteen months later in 1984.
- 1982-11-12 KGB Chief Yuri Andropov succeeds Leonid Brezhnev as leader of the Soviet Union
- 1983-04-25 Yuri Andropov invites US schoolgirl Samantha Smith to the Soviet Union
- 1983-05-03 Soviet leader Yuri Andropov decreases nuclear weapons in Europe
- 1983-06-16 General Secretary Yuri Andropov appointed President of the Soviet Union
- 1984-02-13 Konstantin Chernenko succeeds Yuri Andropov as leader of the Soviet Union