Political Party: Whig
Political Titles: Major General of the United States Army
Biography: The 12th President of the United States, serving from March 1849 until his death in July 1850.
Despite his vague political beliefs, his status as a national hero as a result of his victories in the Mexican–American War won him election to the White House.
His top priority as president was preserving the Union, but he died sixteen months into his term before making any progress.
- 1810-06-21 American army officer and future US President Zachary Taylor (25) weds Margaret Smith (21) near Louisville, Kentucky, at the bride's sister's home
- 1847-02-23 Battle of Buena Vista, Mexico; Zachary Taylor leads mostly volunteer troops against larger Mexican Army force; Mexico retreats, both sides claim victory
- 1848-11-07 General Zachary Taylor elected as 12th President of US
- 1849-03-04 US President Zachary Taylor delays his swearing-in and inauguration ceremony for one day due to religious reasons, rising to the false belief by some that Senator David Atchison (President pro tempore) technically assumed the office of President for one day
- 1849-03-05 Zachary Taylor sworn in as 12th US President
- 1991-06-17 The body of the 12th US President, Zachary Taylor, is exhumed to test how he died; rumors had persisted since his death in 1850 of arsenic poisoning - no evidence of this was found