Profession: 12th US President
Political Party: Whig
Political Titles: Major General of the United States Army
Why Famous: The 12th President of the United States, serving from March 1849 until his death in July 1850. Despite his vague political beliefs, his status as a national hero as a result of his victories in the Mexican-American War won him election to the White House.
His top priority as president was preserving the Union, but he died sixteen months into his term before making any progress.
- 1810-06-21 US President Zachary Taylor (25) weds Margaret Smith near Louisville, Kentucky
- 1846-05-24 General Zachary Taylor captures Monterey in Mexican War
- 1847-02-23 Battle of Buena Vista Mexico; Zachary Taylor defeats Mexicans
- 1848-11-07 General Zachary Taylor elected as 12th President of US
- 1849-03-05 Zachary Taylor sworn in as 12th US President
- 1991-06-17 The body of Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the USA, is exhumed to test how he died; rumours had persisted since his death in 1850 of arsenic poisoning - no evidence of this was found