Originally erected in 1923 as a billboard for a new residential development, by the 1940s the then Hollywoodland sign was in disrepair. Donated to the city of Los Angeles in 1944, it was in such a state that the city’s Recreation and Parks Commission wanted it torn down. However the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and local residents resisted and won the day.
It was decided to tear down the old sign and rebuild it but without the "LAND"at the end. Since then it has become an emblem for the film industry and the city. In 1973 it was granted status as a historical cultural monument and it was rebuild once again in 1978 as the world's largest sign.
Location taken: Hollywood, California, USA
Source: The Hollywood Sign
- 1923-07-13 The Hollywood Sign is officially dedicated in the hills above Hollywood, Los Angeles. It originally reads "Hollywoodland" but the four last letters are dropped after renovation in 1949
- 1949-09-26 Groundbreaking ceremony for the Hollywood sign in Hollywood, Los Angeles; old Hollywoodland sign torn down, reconstruction of a replacement begins with just Hollywood