Instantly popular, this photograph of soldiers raising the flag of the conquering Soviet Union over the German parliament came to be regarded around the world as one of the most significant and recognizable images of World War II.
The photograph was later significantly altered for propaganda purposes with additional smoke added for dramatic effect and multiple wristwatches were removed from the lower soldier's wrist, as they would imply that he had been looting.
- 1945-04-16 Battle of Berlin: Red Army begins its attack on the capital of Nazi Germany
- 1945-04-22 Battle of Berlin: Upon being informed that a planned counter-attack never happened, Adolf Hitler flies into a rage, denounces the German Army and concedes World War II is lost
- 1945-04-25 Soviet forces complete their encirclement of Berlin, cutting off all access points west of the German capital
- 1945-04-30 Red Army opens attack on German Reichstag building in Berlin
- 1945-05-02 World War II: Battle of Berlin ends as Soviet army takes Berlin and General Weidling surrenders