Inspired by Rio de Janeiro's Christ the Redeemer monumental statue in Brazil, the Sanctuary of the King was built by the Portuguese Episcopate between 1949 and 1959. It is situated in Almada, across the Tagus River from Portugal's capital, Lisbon.
It depicts Christ the King with his arms outstretched and was designed by the sculptor Francisco Franco de Sousa. The statue stands 28 meters (92 ft) high on top of an arched platform 82 meters (269 ft) high and expresses Portugal's gratitude for making it through WWII.
Location: Almada, Portugal
- 1959-05-17 Sanctuary of Christ the King inaugurated, a 28 meter (92 ft) high monument and shrine overlooking Lisbon, Portugal by sculptor Francisco Franco de Sousa