1968-08-20 During the night 250,000 Soviet and Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia in response to the Prague Spring
- 1968-09-12 Albania announces it is withdrawing from the Warsaw Pact
- 1968-09-13 Albania leaves Warsaw pact
- 1990-01-12 Romania bans Communist party (1st Warsaw Pact member to do so)
- 1990-09-24 East Germany leaves Warsaw Pact
- 1991-03-31 Soviet Rep of Georgia endorsed independence; Warsaw Pact dissolves
- 1991-04-01 Warsaw Pact officially dissolves
- 1999-03-12 Former Warsaw Pact members the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland join NATO.
- 2005-11-25 Polish Minister of National Defence Radek Sikorski opens Warsaw Pact archives to historians showing maps of possible nuclear strikes against Western Europe, including the nuclear annihilation of 43 Polish cities by Soviet-controlled forces.