2002-11-16 The first case of SARS is recorded in Foshan City, Guangdong Province, China, though is not identified until much later. First patient is thought to be a farmer in the city.
- 2003-04-23 Beijing closes all schools for two weeks because of the SARS virus
- 2003-07-05 SARS is declared "contained" by the WHO after affecting 26 countries and resulting in 774 deaths
- 2020-01-29 Number of COVID-19 cases passes those of SARS with over 7,700 cases in China confirmed, with 170 deaths
- 2020-02-09 Deaths from COVID-19 virus overtake those of Sars (2003) with 813 deaths worldwide, with more than 34,800 known infections
- 2003-03-29 Carlo Urbani, Italian physician (SARS) (b. 1956)