War: American Civil War - American Indian Wars - American Revolutionary War - Boer Wars - Cold War - English Civil War - Falklands War - Greek War of Independence - Gulf War - Korean War - Kosovo War - New Zealand Wars - Spanish Civil War - Terrorism - Vietnam War - War of the Pacific - Wars of the Roses - Weapons - More »
War of the Triple Alliance: The War of the Triple Alliance, also known as The Paraguayan War and the Great War in Paraguay was a South American war fought from 1864-70, between Paraguay and the Triple Alliance of Argentina, the Empire of Brazil and Uruguay.
It was the deadliest and bloodiest inter-state war in Latin American history, devastating Paraguay, which suffered catastrophic losses in population. Almost 70% of its adult male population died and it was forced to cede territory to Argentina and Brazil.
Paraguay fought almost to the last man. According to some estimates, it's pre-war population of 525,000 was reduced to 221,000, of which only 28,000 were men.
- 1864-12-13 War of the Triple Alliance: Paraguay officially declares war on Brazil, invades the next day
- 1864-12-14 War of the Triple Alliance: Paraguay invades the Brazilian province of Mato Grosso
- 1866-03-01 War of the Triple Alliance: Paraguayan canoes sink 2 Brazilian ironclads on the Rio Paraná
- 1866-09-22 War of the Triple Alliance: Decisive battle of Curupayty results in a Paraguayan victory and heavy losses for Argentinian and Brazilian forces
- 1868-11-11 War of the Triple Alliance: Allied victory in the Battle of Avay leaves 3,000 Paraguayan soldiers dead, 600 wounded and the road to Asunción open
- 1869-01-01 War of the Triple Alliance: Paraguay's capital Asunción falls to Brazilian forces led by General João de Souza da Fonseca Costa
- 1869-08-16 War of the Triple Alliance: A Paraguay battalion made up of children is massacred by the Brazilian Army during the Battle of Acosta Ñu